History

Girls Club of Greenfield was founded in 1895 to provide a social, cultural and educational atmosphere for girls and young women within the community. It was organized and operating fifty years before the formation of the Girls Clubs of America and it is the second oldest Girls Club in America. Through its long life, the Girls Club has continuously changed and evolved with the needs of the community. From its earlier social and cultural components, it moved to offer many types of classes (pottery, sewing, cooking, music) and in the 1950’s, as women entered the workforce, the Girls Club started the first nursery school which included boys as well. Today, the focus is on providing early education and after school programs for girls and boys with an ongoing commitment to girls’ programming.

GAR bldg

     GC officers                                GC hat group

Janet Russel House GC Elders

Feedback